Thursday, February 14, 2013

Fast and Furious 6: Get Here Fast!

I have never been a fan of the Fast and Furious film series.While my male comrades would insist that the first three films (The Fast and the Furious, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift) have their merit in the form of shots of objectified barely clothed women and fancy vehicles, I found them to be lifeless, hollow, filled with douchebag characters, and they offered nothing I could not easily see with a simple google search. 

My opinion started to change with the fourth film in the series, Fast and Furious, albeit only to a certain extent. I was still not amused by the continued bromance love-fest between boring characters, but I did very much enjoy the high energy racing sequences featured in the film. Some complained that these sequences were less racing scenes and more CGI, logic defying, action scenes...but frankly they were the first exciting and enjoyable moments to be offered by the series. Fast Five continued the streak of cardboard characters and thin stories which had always been a bother when it came to the previous films. However, much like the films predecessor, Fast Five stepped it up with the over-the-top action sequences and made for the most amusing film of the bunch, if nothing else. 

Now we have Fast and Furious 6 heading our way...



Well...for the first time ever...consider me excited for a Fast and Furious film!

Granted, this fact has only ever been based on levels of enjoyment rather than improved writing and story, however I can say with conviction that the Fast and Furious films are one of the first series I think of when asked "what series has gotten BETTER with each film."

Sure, the story seems to be the basic "law enforcement turns to criminals for help in exchange for full pardons" narrative. Sure, the bromance between the characters seems to be in full gear (no pun intended), but I will admit that as the films have progressed, I did like the characters and the relationships they share (particularly between Vin Diesel and Paul Walker's characters) in the previous two films.

But when has ANYONE bought a ticket for these films for the story? What really appeals to me about this trailer is that the filmmakers seem to have decided to push the envelop in terms of evolving from a shallow film filled with glory shots of women and cars....to a shallow film that captures the kind of car racing, tank crushing and plane crashing shenanigans that many of us pretended were happening while playing with our hot wheels toys as children. I mean...the characters have gone from douchebags punks to gun toting ass-kickers. Fast and Furious 6 looks to be an over-the-top, insane, action film that delivers on the ridiculous set pieces. Also, frankly, I am sort of curious to see where the story goes with this one considering they are bringing back Michelle Rodriguez's previously assumed dead character.

Also, did I mention...they take down a fucking plane with their cars!?

No comments:

Post a Comment